Before discussing about client-server network, we should know that what is server and client. The server is a central computer which provides services to client computers as per request. On the other hand, the client computer can be a desktop or laptop which requests to server to get services. The clients can use data, files and folders, and other resources from server. The server can be file, database, printer, mail servers and others. Now, It is time to discuss regarding the client-server network. Let us start to focus on that …………..
Definition of client-server network
We already know that a network is a collection or group of computers where computers can share resources and communicate with each other. When one or more servers and many client computers are connected with each other under a network and client requests to and server processes and provides services, this type of network will be known as client-server network.
We see these types of networks in not only enterprise but also at our home. In result, our expense has been decreased and we can manage our enterprise easily.
There are many advantages to use client-server network which are shown below:
- In previous, we had to update required softwares from every computers. It was most time consuming. But using networking system, we set up a update server which updates itself first and then provides updates to every clients. This system takes less time.
- In traditional way, we had to install printer into each computer. In result, cost was high. But today multiple client computers can print from a single printer server using this connection. This is how; printing cost is decreasing.
- We can provide security and manage files and folders centrally storing in the file server. Otherwise the same files are stored in every computer. So, much storage was required.
- To manage computers have been easy today due to have central management. Now users are able to login from any computers using domain controller user name and password.
- We can use internet in multiple devices taking single broadband internet connection using proxy server.
The most common drawback for client-server architecture is that all resources resides in a single server computer. If any kind of failure happens in the server which is not recoverable, then all files, folders and other components will be lost. No client computer can access the resources. The server may destroy due to hard disk crash, wastage motherboard, fried computer chip etc. If the proxy server is down, the clients can not use internet. If printer server does not work, then no workstation can print. And the file server is broken, no data or files can be accessed by the client devices. So, enterprise should recruit a network administrator to take regular backup, restore and recover if required, maintain proxy to keep up 24 hours/7 days. They have to provide high salary to administrator, So, expense will be increased.
In spite of these shortcomings, every company should have a network administrator to run systems smoothly without any problems. Despite we have the drawbacks, we need to establish network system and manage them properly, then much cost will be reduced in other sides.